Marine Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on training individuals with the design, production, and maintenance of the equipment used at sea.
How long will this course take?
Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering majors usually take this course for four years. This course involves three years of studies and one year of apprenticeship.
Remember that before you become a full pledged marine engineer, you have to take licensure examinations. The examinations are usually conducted two to three times per year under the Professional Regulation Commission. Some of the licensure examinations you can take to be a marine engineer are the following:
- Officer-in-Charge of an Engineering Watch Licensure Exam
- Second Marine Engineer Officers Licensure Exam
- Chief Marine Engineer Officers Licensure Exam
What traits and skill sets would you need?
Like all engineering courses, BS Marine Engineering (BSMarE) is not a walk in the park. Students must be equipped with different skills to successfully finish the program. Students will need the following skills in order to graduate from BSMarE:
- Strength of Body and Mind – Aside from the difficulty of the job itself, you also have to deal with being away from your family for months at a time. This can take a toll on you not just physically and mentally but emotionally as well.
- Mechanical Skills – As a marine engineer, you need mechanical skills because a huge chunk of your work revolves around building and fixing machines and equipment.
- Mathematical Skills – Like all engineering courses, BS MarE involves a lot of problem solving so being adept in math is definitely a must.
- Creativity – As a marine engineer, you are involved in the construction and design of marine vessels, creativity is definitely a required skill.
- Analytical Skills – BS MarE involves a lot of problem solving so one must know how to analyze a problem.
- Technical Skills – BS MarE majors should also have the ability to operate different types of marine equipment and software.
What subjects would you expect from this?
Similar to a lot of engineering courses, you can expect a lot of math and science classes in this course. Besides those, you can expect the following:
- Ship Construction and Ship Stability
- Machine Shop
- Heat Balance
- Basic Safety
- Marine Pollution and Prevention
- Fuel Oils and Lubricants
Remember that classes in BS Marine Engineering are not only held in the classroom but also in the laboratory. Students are also required to attend a one-year apprenticeship aboard a ship.
What career can you pursue with a Marine Engineering degree?
Marine Engineering offers a lot of opportunities to its graduates. Finishing the degree, you can be one of the following:
- OIC of an Engineering Watch
- Second Marine Engineer
- Chief Marine Engineer
- Naval Engineering Officer
- Coast Guard Engineering Officer
If you haven’t passed the board or chose not to take the licensure exams, having a BS Marine Engineering degree will enable you to be employed as the following:
- Engineering Cadet
- Apprentice Engineer
- Engine Cadet
- Engine Boy
- Procurement Engineer
Is BS in Marine Engineering the right course for you?
Are you interested in design and construction? Do marine vessels fascinate you? Do you ever dream of sailing through the sea? If you answered yes to all these questions, then BS Marine Engineering is perfect for you!
Excited to take up marine engineering in college? Check out Edukasyon.ph’s career page on marine engineering to find out more about the course! You can also check out the schools that offer marine engineering here and apply now!