A university’s FAQ section sometimes doesn’t cut it when it comes to shedding light on seemingly trivial yet important questions that bug a student’s mind. On the other hand, it may also be such a daunting task when students are faced with big life decisions (Hello, college!) that they just come up blank in the Q and A department. Here we list down the essential questions you should consider asking before taking the big leap!
Going to college is all about getting higher education so it’s imperative to put a premium on the academic standing of a university. Note that research facilities and the average GPA of the student population are great indicators of academic proficiency. Asking these questions can help you gauge a university’s academic feats.
- For the last five years, what is the rank of the university here in the Philippines?
- How heavy is the academic workload for a student in my academic track?
- What is the average GPA of the students?
- Does the university have Centers of Excellence?
- A CoE refers to a department within a higher education institution, which continuously demonstrates excellent performance in the areas of instruction, research and publication, extension and linkages and institutional qualifications.
- How strong is the research culture? Does the university have effective academic advisors?
You’ll find that your future university can practically be called your new home and it is your responsibility to know it well. Campus life is often ignored by some students and parents as they tend to focus more on the financial and academic side. Nonetheless, life within the four walls of your future school is just as important as you’re expected to spend at least four years of your life there.
- What are some must-remember university regulations?
- How’s the wi-fi?
- How diverse is the student population on campus?
- How many libraries are there? Do they also offer help with research?
- How accessible and helpful are the health services on campus?
- Does the campus have enough dining options?
- Are there dorms available? How affordable are they?
A lot of universities offer merit scholarships and other forms of financial assistance if you need any. Still, you and your parents must gauge how often the school increases tuition fees to be able to plan financially.
- How much has university fees increased over the last few years?
- Are school fees inclusive of the use of sports and other research facilities?
- Are certain courses cheaper than others?
The general university environment must foster an ecosystem that is healthy and beneficial for its students to excel not only in academics but also in life. As they say, college is a training ground for real life so you better equip yourself with as many tools and knowledge as possible.
- What’s unique about this college?
- Is the school accessible to differently-abled students?
- Is the school environment suitable for learners with multiple intelligences?
- Are career guidance and counselling services available to the student?
- Is mental health promoted in the university? Are there support networks on campus such as peer groups and certified counselors?
Choosing a university doesn’t mean leaving your interests at home. Rather, it is the x-factor that makes college life fun and exciting!
- What are the most popular extracurricular activities on campus?
- How many sports facilities are there, like gyms, basketball courts, swimming pools?
- Does the university offer unique electives like yoga or musical theater appreciation?
- Are study abroad programs offered?
- Does the university assist in getting internships for students?
- Are there clubs dedicated to volunteering and community extension?
Remember, transitioning to college does not mean only the university is expected to do the interrogation. It is definitely a two-way road! Now, you are more than ready to face a university admissions officer and wow them with these questions that will help determine if you and your dream school are a match.