As the end of SY 2018-2019 is fast approaching, you probably had your calendars and planners marked for a series of extreme events aka #finalsweek and #graduation. But aside from the academics, prep your sched for some of these must-see/watch/attend happenings that’ll keep your whole 2019 lit!
- January: Lasallian Tercentenary 2019 – 2019 will be a big year for all Lasallians all over the world with the celebration of the 300th birth year of St. John Baptist de La Salle. Starting from January 1, 2019 all the way to May 2020 there will be tons of activities lined up tentatively by the De La Salle Philippines.
- February: UP Fair 2019 – Looking for a hardcore yet affordable concert? UP Fair has got you! UP Fair is a 5-day musical fest and one of the biggest student-initiated events in the country. If you’re not into rock performances, then there are also bazaars and tons of rides that you can try!
Check your university page to know more events in your location!
Arts and Culture
- February: PASINAYA 2019 – now on its 15th year, PASINAYA Open House Festival is the country’s largest multi-arts festival. Enjoy three days of days (February 1-3, 2019) of workshops, performances, exhibits, street events, and museum tours with your friends and family. See-all-can, workshop-all-you-can and YES —pay-what-you can!
- March: Wanderland Festival – Better block your calendars now because the Wanderland Festival 2019 is about to set the stage on March 9 to 10. One of the premier music and arts festivals in the Philippines, the annual event showcases the freshest international indie bands and local indie acts.
- UAAP Season 81 Volleyball – The UAAP Season 81 Men’s and Women’s Volleyball competition is set to run from February 16 to May 18, 2019. Will the De La Salle Lady Spikers attain its Four-peat? Or will the NU Bulldogs retain its championship belt against other teams? Don’t miss it!
- November: SEA Games – Philippines will be hosting the 30th Southeast Asian Games that will start on November this year. There will be over 500 events of more than 56 sports across the four main venues located in Clark, Subic, Manila, and Tagaytay making it the biggest SEA games in history. Another highlight of the 2019 SEA Games is the official entry of e-sports as a medal event. DOTA 2 and Hearthstone for PC games; NBA 2K and Tekken 7 for console games; and AoV and Mobile Legends for mobile games.
2019 is a big year too for movies and series enthusiasts. The new seasons of hit Netflix shows like Black Mirror (March), Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (April), and Stranger Things (July), Disney live-action films Lion King (Lion King) and Dumbo (March), to big Marvel franchises including Avengers: Endgame (April), Captain Marvel (March) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June) are sure to satisfy your appetite for binge-watching.
Fairs and Expo
- September: Manila International Book Fair – Now on its 40th year, MIBF is the largest book event in the Philippines. With more than a hundred exhibitors, you better get your shelves ready with various selections of books, limited editions prints, collector items, stationery supplies and a whole lot more! The event will be held on September 12-16 at SMX Convention Center at MOA Complex, Pasay City.
- February: EduTech 2019 – Be inspired, learn, and exchange ideas at this coming February 20-21, 2019. Comprised of inspirational keynotes from across the world, pioneering educators, and technology leaders, EduTech Philippines aims to gather together the entire education sector in the Philippines in one free to attend conference and exhibition.