If you want to live your best life, you will have to spend your time, money, and energy doing the things you love. You wouldn’t want to spend your time and money in the hospital due to illness or bad health, which could prevent you from enjoying life. That’s why you need to live a healthy lifestyle and find ways to sustain this lifestyle through budget-friendly solutions.
Make the most out of living in the Queen City of the South (aka Cebu!) by staying in shape; you don’t have to go on a full vegan diet or sweat it out in the gym every day to stay healthy. You can achieve good health in simple ways.
Here are 3 ways to achieve a healthy lifestyle in Cebu without breaking the bank!
1. Eat: Stock up on healthy, affordable greens from your local market
Cebuano cuisine is big on lechon (whole roasted pig), and we can’t stop anyone from indulging in this Filipino favorite! But balance is key to living a healthy lifestyle. So enjoy your lechon in moderation and make sure to add vegetables to your meals as much as possible.
Vegetable recipes don’t have to be complicated. You’ll be surprised at how many dishes you can make with humble vegetables like kangkong. And luckily, you can buy fresh and affordable vegetables and other ingredients from many markets in Cebu.
Markets in Cebu to check out:
- Carbon Market, 59 M.C. Briones Street
- Taboan Public Market, along B. Aranas Street
- Carcar Public Market, Carcar City
2. Rest: Savor the laid-back lifestyle in Cebu
In a bustling city like Cebu, you need to find a balance between work and rest. Every student needs time to kick back and relax, what with school days that often start as early as 7 AM and last until late afternoon to early evening. Enjoy the winding down hours of the day by watching the sunset at a nearby beach, taking a walk in the park, or sitting down for coffee with a friend. The best things in life are free (or at least affordable)!
Fun things you can do in Cebu at minimal cost:
- Watch the sunset at one of the beautiful beaches in Bantayan Island. No need to pay for accommodation; just bring a tent if you’re planning a weekend getaway with your barkada. Aside from hitting the beach, there are many more fun and free things you can do in Cebu!
- Sip some coffee or catch up with a friend in Bintana Coffee House at 181K Elizabeth Pond Street. The place is a cozy and homey cafe located in a quiet, residential street.
3. Grind: Exercise at one of Cebu’s outdoor spots
The other side of the coin of rest is exercise. You don’t need to pay for a hefty gym membership fee to maintain a healthy lifestyle in Cebu. Running is a popular activity for people who want to keep fit and healthy. And Cebu has a lot of outdoor spaces where you can go for a run. Aside from visiting a sports center, you could also explore the vibrant city of Cebu on foot!
Affordable things you can do in Cebu to stay fit:
- Go for a run in Cebu City Sports Complex at 179 R.R Landon Street, Osmeña Boulevard. The track oval is open 24/7 for enthusiastic joggers. As of 2019, the entrance fee for students is 10 pesos plus 5 pesos after 6 PM.
- For other options, you can also jog around any town in Cebu. Enjoy the sights and sounds of a city that’s not as congested as busier places like Manila. Just make sure to stay safe! Jog in the late afternoon or early evening, and maybe invite a friend. You get to keep each other company as you run toward your fitness goals.
No matter where you live, in a vibrant city like Cebu or elsewhere, finding the time to lead a healthy life can make all the difference. And with determination and some budget-friendly hacks, you can make it happen!
Find more tips to stay healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally on the Generation Zen section of Edukasyon.ph!