A Quick and Easy Guide to Post-Study Work Visa in Australia | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

A Quick and Easy Guide to Post-Study Work Visa in Australia

When considering where to study, a lot of students dream about studying and eventually gaining work experience in Australia. Can’t blame them! The work culture in Australia is very ideal and alluring to many!

In Australia, there are many government rules to protect workers, a lot of worker benefits, a general emphasis on enriching the family life, and generally good compensation for the majority of jobs.  So if you’re looking to study in Australia, we’ll be answering the questions that you have regarding Australian work visa options for you after you graduate!

Can I work in Australia after I graduate?

Yes, absolutely.

What are the different types of working visas I can apply for?

You will need to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) which allows graduates to work in Australia temporarily after they have completed their studies. Under this visa, there are two streams: the Graduate work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

What is the Graduate work stream?

This stream applies to students who have graduated with skills and qualifications that are related to occupations considered in demand in the Australian labor market in the List of eligible skilled occupations . This applies to students who have graduated with a vocational education and training (VET) diploma or certificate . This visa can be granted for 18 months.

What is the Post-Study Work stream?

This stream applies to students who are graduates of a higher education degree. Successful applicants can be granted a visa period of two to four years duration depending on the highest educational qualification that they have obtained. This applies to students who have graduated with a bachelors, masters, or doctoral degree qualification.

How do I know if I qualify for a subclass 485?

You can qualify for a subclass 485 after you have ensured that:

  1. You have received one qualification within at least two years of academic study or multiple qualifications that were attained in a total period of two academic years of study.
  2. You have undertaken your study in no less than 16 months.
  3. Your courses are registered through the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  4. You have successfully completed your course.
  5. You have resulted in an eligible qualification.
  6. You have had all course instruction in English.
  7. You have completed your course while physically being in Australia.
  8. You have completed your studies while holding a visa allowing study in Australia.
  9. Your course can only be counted once towards the Australian study requirement.

What if I had done a brief exchange program abroad while I was a student in Australia? Will I still qualify for a subclass 485?

Yes. As long as you have completed two years of academic study in no less than 16 months within the borders of Australia, you can meet the requirement.

When should I submit my subclass 485 visa?

You should lodge your subclass 485 visa application within 6 months of the date of your course completion. This date of course completion is when the educational institution publicly notifies the student that they have met all the requirements necessary to be awarded their degree, diploma, or trade qualification. This notification can be done through: letter, newspaper publication, internet publication, email, bulletin board at the tertiary institution. This date should not be mixed up with the conferral date of the award.

For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships in Australia, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!