A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Student Visa in Japan | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Student Visa in Japan

Many have preconceived notions that those who want to study in Japan are mainly big fans of anime, manga, or the Japanese language but there are so many other aspects of the country that are attractive for study abroad students. Japan has a rich history, unique culture, and society, and is a developed country home to the third largest economy in the world. With its immense influence in lucrative industries such as automobile manufacturing, electronic goods, and technology; Japan is a natural home to a lot of talent and innovation. For whatever reason you may have for wanting to study in Japan, here’s what you need to know!

Please note that visa requirements and eligibility rules change at any point and time. It is always best to check the current official government websites to get the most updated information.

What are the steps needed to get a student visa in Japan?

The steps needed to get a visa are different for Japan. Before you apply for a visa, you will need a temporary Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) to be filed on your behalf by your school. This Certificate of Eligibility indicates that you are planning to reside in Japan for a longer period of time due to your studies. Here are the steps to get the CoE.

Step 1. Confirm your acceptance into the school in Japan where your enrollment is scheduled.

Step 2. Send a request to your school for an application for Certificate of Eligibility

Step 3. Your school will file an application on your behalf for a Certificate of Eligibility to be verified, reviewed, and then issued by their Regional Immigration bureau.

Step 4. After it is issued, your school will send you the Certificate of Eligibility.

Step 5. You will then apply for a visa with your certificate of eligibility at the Embassy of Japan or Consulate of Japan here in the Philippines.

Step 6. The Embassy or Consulate will issue you a visa and you may depart for the Port of entry into Japan

What is the visa that I should I apply for?

As stated in Step 5, you should apply for the “Visa for application with Certificate of Eligibility Issued in Japan”.

Am I eligible for the student visa?

In order to be eligible for the student visa, you must fulfill the ff. requirements:
  1. You must be planning to study at an accredited university, vocational school, college of technology, or any educational institution designated to prepare persons with 12 years of foreign education.
  2. You must have sufficient assets to support yourself while in Japan.

What documents do I need to provide the study visa/entry permit?

  • Philippine Passport
  • Filled up visa application form
  • Photo identification (4.5 cm x 4.5 cm) – Applicant’s name and birth date have to be written on the backside of the photo and pasted on the application form.
  • Original and Photocopy of Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)
You may also need to provide the ff. documents:
  • Documents of your academic background such as diploma and official transcripts
  • Proof of financial viability through bank statements, income statements, financial aid award letters, scholarship award letters, and letter of sponsorship
  • Certificate of Admission into the school

How much does the application for visa cost?

Php 2,700.

How long is the processing time for the student visa?

The visa can take anywhere from 3-7 days.

How early should I apply for the student visa?

As early as getting your acceptance letter, you should work with your school to obtain your Certificate of Eligibility. It takes a minimum of five weeks for your school to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility so apply as early as 3 months in advance.

How long does the study permit last?

Anywhere from 3 months to 4 years and 3 months depending on the duration of your studies.

What are the part-time work conditions for me once I have my study permit?

You can work part-time only once you have received a Shikakugai Katsudo Kyoka (Permit to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted).  Your school or university should be able to help you acquire this permit. You can also file your applications at your nearest Regional Immigration Bureau.

Once you have that permit, you can work up to 28 hours per week when school is in session or up to 8 hours per day during school breaks.

For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships available for you in Japan, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!