A Student’s Guide to Applying for a Visa or Entry Permit to Hong Kong | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

A Student’s Guide to Applying for a Visa or Entry Permit to Hong Kong

One of the brightest and busiest hubs of Asia is Hong Kong. Despite its small size, it boasts of a vibrant economy, being one of the world’s financial centers. Along with its being competitive in business and financial aspects, Hong Kong is also globally competitive in higher education. It is home to several of Asia’s top universities with four of them being part of QS World University Ranking’s top 10 universities in Asia for 2018. With its excellent academic programs, close proximity to the Philippines, and more affordable tuition and living expenses, universities in Hong Kong should definitely be one of your top considerations.

So what does it take to get a student visa in Hong Kong? It’s actually very easy to apply! Here’s a handy guide on how to apply for one!

Please note that visa requirements and eligibility rules change at any point and time. It is always best to check the current official government websites to get the most updated information.

What is the study visa that I should I apply for?

You will need to apply for a study visa or entry permit to study in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).

Am I eligible for the study visa/entry permit?

You are eligible for the study visa/entry permit if:
  • The applicant is admitted and has a school acceptance letter from private locally accredited post-secondary schools and institutions.
  • The applicant can prove that they can afford the course expenses, living expenses, and other school-related expenses without working or using any public funds.
  • The applicant has a sponsor in Hong Kong which can be the educational institution that has accepted them or a Hong Kong resident.

What are the steps to get a study visa/entry permit?

Step 1. Gather and fill out all needed documents.

Step 2. Completed forms and documents can be submitted through the ff. ways:

  1. Submitted by post or through the local sponsor in the HKSAR to this address: Receipt and Despatch Sub-Unit, Hong Kong Immigration Department, 2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
  2. Submit their application forms and relevant documents to the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular missions which are the embassy and consulates in Manila, Cebu, and Laoag.

What documents do I need to provide the study visa/entry permit?

To be submitted by the applicant:
  1. Completed Application Form ID 995A
  2. Recent photograph of applicant (attached to Form ID 995A)
  3. Photocopy of applicant’s passport
  4. Letter of acceptance from the educational institution
  5. Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s accommodation arrangement
  6. Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s financial support (e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts, and salary slips)
To be submitted by the sponsor:
  1. Completed Application Form ID 995B  
  2. Photocopy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card**
  3. Photocopy of the sponsor’s travel documents **
  4. Photocopy of proof of the sponsor’s financial standing**

**Submission of these documents are not required if the educational institution will become the applicant’s sponsor

How much does the study visa/entry permit cost?

If the application is submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration department directly, the payment fee should be made upon receiving the study visa/entry permit and done in cash, by EPS, or by cheque. The cheque should be crossed, made payable to “The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” and properly dated and signed.

If the application is submitted to an overseas Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in Manila, Cebu, or Laoag then you will need to pay 2950 PHP (Regular fee of 1600 PHP + liason fee of 1350 PHP).

How long is the processing time for the study visa/entry permit?

It takes around 6 weeks to process your application after submitting all your required documents.

How early should I apply for the study visa/entry permit?

Best to start your study visa/entry permit application as soon as you receive your acceptance letter.

How long does the study permit last?

Your study permit duration will be dependent on the length of your program and up to a maximum of six years upon entry.

Can I bring my spouse and/or children with me?

Yes you may bring your spouse and your children under the age of 18. You will be considered their sponsors in HKSAR. You will be needing to provide proof of your relationships with the dependents, evidence of no record of detriment of the dependents, evidence of your ability to sponsor their living above subsistence level with appropriate accommodation.

What are the part-time work conditions for me once I have my study permit?

Non-local students (exchange students excluded) whose study programs are more than a year in duration can work part-time on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and also summer jobs. The school you are enrolled in should inform you upon your entry through a “No Objection Letter” (NOL) as to what types of internships, past-time campus employment, and/or summer jobs you may take.  You are also allowed to apply for an internship provided that the internships are study/curriculum related and endorsed by the school and that the duration of the internship be one year or less. There are no restrictions on the hours, salary, and employers for those taking an internship.

For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships available for you in Hong Kong, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!