How to Get a Student Visa for the UK | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

How to Get a Student Visa for the UK

For decades, the United Kingdom has always been a top destination for students from all over the world. Known for its world-class universities, quality of academics, amount and quality of research papers, and globally known faculty; the UK offers their students a fantastic student experience not just within the school walls but also a rich student life outside. Whether it be history, culture, food, art, music, fashion or sport — the UK has a lot to offer students for a holistic student experience. If you are looking forward to studying in the UK, here is what you need to know about its student visa!

Please note that visa requirements and eligibility rules change at any point and time. It is always best to check the current official government websites to get the most updated information.

What is the student visa that I should I apply for?

If you are taking a short course or period of research of 6 to 11 months you will need to apply for a Short Term Study visa.

If you are applying for a course degree that is equal to a UK higher education’s Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate (For reference: Ofqual register- Level 6,7,8), then you will need to apply for a Tier 4 General visa.

Am I eligible for the student visa?

You are eligible for the Short-Term Study Visa if:
  1. You are doing a short course of study
  2. You have been offered a place on a course in the UK and have been accepted
  3. You have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds. Or you can prove that your relatives and friends can support and house you.
  4. You can pay for your return journey.
You are eligible for a Tier 4 General visa if:
  1. You have an unconditional offer of place at a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  2. You have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.
  3. Proof of your English language proficiency

What are the steps to get a student visa?

Step 1. Receive acceptance from an accredited academic institution in the UK

Step 2. Gather documents needed

Step 3. Apply for the appropriate student visa.

Step 4. Wait for the results.

What documents do I need to provide the student visa?

Documents you need to provide for a Short-Term Study visa:
  • Current passport or other travel identification
  • Evidence that you can support yourself (bank statements or payslips)
  • Details of where you intend to stay or travel plans
  • Tuberculosis test results
  • Letter of acceptance form the educational institution containing details of the course name, duration, cost, and accommodation.
  • Evidence of your previous study, English language qualifications/certificates/awards,
  • Evidence of your accommodation and travel plans
  • Financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings, or funds that will support your studies
Documents you need to provide for a Tier 4 General Student visa:
  • Current passport or other travel identification
  • Proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course
  • Proof of your English language proficiency
  • Your tuberculosis test result
  • Any additional documents required depending on your circumstance (please refer to the Tier 4 of the Points Based System – Policy Guidance)

How much does the student visa cost?

Short-Term Study Visa: £97 for a 6 month visa and £186 for an 11 month visa.

Tier 4 General student visa: £348 for the applicant and £348 for any dependents

How early should I apply for the student visa?

For both visa types: As early as 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

How long is the processing time for the student visa?

For both visa types: Within 3 weeks.

How long does the student visa last?

Short Term Study Visa: 6 or 11 months according to your given visa duration.

Tier 4 General Student Visa: The duration of stay depends on the kind of course you are doing and the type of study you have completed

Can I bring my spouse and/or children with me?

Short Term Study Visa: No.

Tier 4 General Student Visa: Yes if (a) your course is sponsored at Level 7 and lasts 1 year or more, (b) if you are a government sponsored student on a course lasts longer than 6 months, or (c)  if you are a Doctorate Extension Scheme student.

What are the part-time work conditions for me once I have my student visa?

Short Term Study Visa: You cannot work under this visa.

Tier 4 General Student Visa: You can work in most jobs but there are certain jobs you may be not allowed to apply to (ex. Professional sportsperson or sports coach).

There are a lot of course and qualification specific information that you must be aware of so do make sure to do the proper research ahead of time to understand what type of documents you must prepare for your application.

For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships available for you in the UK, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!