Here’s a magic word every student should know: scholarships. We know that tuition fees can burn a hole in your wallet. How much more if you’re planning to study abroad? A shining, shimmering scholarship opportunity will definitely ease your financial worries.
With a scholarship opportunity, you can score an affordable study experience in the US, the land of the free and brave students like you. What’s more, there are different types of scholarships that you can apply for. Check out these five scholarships in the US offered for Filipino students!
The Fulbright Graduate Student Program is offered to Filipinos to pursue graduate level studies (master’s or doctoral) or non-degree doctoral research in the US. The grants under this scholarship program last for a maximum of one academic year for non-degree, one to two years for master’s, and two years for doctoral degree studies.
The grant will provide allowance for your transportation, monthly maintenance, tuition, and miscellaneous fees. You will receive an allowance for your books and supplies plus health and accident insurance, too!
- Philippine citizenship
- English proficiency
- College degree with major in field of specialization; excellent undergraduate record
- Applicants must have at least two years of professional work experience (after college) in their field of specialization. Assistant-ships during college do not count.
- Applicants must be in good health to pursue graduate work in the US.
- Applicants must return to the Philippines immediately upon completion of study.
- Non-degree applicants must meet the added requirements:
- Applicants for doctoral enrichment must be enrolled in a relevant study program in a Philippine university
- Applicants for doctoral dissertation must show proof that materials required to pursue research are not available in the Philippines but are available in the United States
Note: Individuals holding dual citizenship, are permanent residents and/or are presently studying in the US are not eligible.
- Official or certified transcript of records from all colleges/universities attended
- Certified true copy of diploma (not original)
- Four letters of reference (forms are included with the application kit)
- Completed 8-page application form
- NBI Clearance acquired in the past 6 months
Shoutout to all the Filipino game changers out there! If you’re interested in attending a year of professional enrichment in the US, the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program could be your perfect match. The program provides ten months of non-degree academic study for the fellows and aims to develop leaders who will have “multiplier effect” on their society.
The Humphrey Program fosters a mutual exchange of knowledge and understanding about the common issues in the United States and the Fellows’ home countries. It is estimated that 200 Fellowships are awarded annually. Try your luck and who knows if you’re going to be picked for the next roster of fellows? We’re rooting for you!
The AAUW awards International Fellowships for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not permanent residents of the US. Under this program, you can pursue graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited US institutions. Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work. You go, girl!
You will find Fordham University in New York, the concrete jungle where your dreams will come true! This Jesuit university offers various scholarships for international students. The university offers need-based aid awards that will be based on your academic, extracurricular achievement, and financial capacity. Also, the university continues to offer partial merit scholarships to international applicants who can apply for the Fordham Theater Scholarship and Dean’s Scholarship.
If you’re planning to attend the university on a non-immigrant visa, you need to submit the Fordham Statement of Funding or your CSS Profile.
Georgia College offers International Student Scholarships to incoming freshmen and transfer international students in an approximate amount 19,000 USD per year. You’re welcome to apply, whether it be for an undergraduate or graduate degree! You will receive a full or partial scholarship depending on your academic, extracurricular achievement, and financial capacity.