Studying in Europe may be one of your biggest dreams. Going west will equip you with knowledge from the best and world-class institutions. Not just that, being a part of the notable alumni of your dream University could be one of the most rewarding things you could ever gain. Sounds great, isn’t it? So why not make your dreams into a reality? Study in Europe, even if it means applying for a scholarship through the Erasmus Mundus program!
Get to know Erasmus Mundus
Erasmus Mundus is one of the most successful cooperation and mobility programs of the European Commission (an institution of the European Union (EU) that manages operations of the EU) It aims to enhance the quality of European higher education via scholarships and academic cooperation between EU and the rest of the world, including the Philippines.
Students who are accepted into the Erasmus Mundus program will study in at least two universities in two different countries. These students will be awarded either with a joint degree – which is a single degree certificate issued on behalf of at least 2 Higher education Institutions that are within the EMJMD (Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree) consortium.
They could also be rewarded with multiple degrees that have at least 2 degree certificates issued by 2 Higher education Institutions of the consortium. Part of the studies may also take place in a partner country, say in the Latin America..
How can I be eligible for the scholarship?
To be eligible for selection of the Erasmus Mundus scholarship and receive financial support, you should first secure your enrollment to any course or program by any of the organizing committees.
The good thing about the Erasmus Scholarship is that it covers all the participation costs: from tuition fees, library and laboratory costs, full insurance coverage, contribution to travel and installation costs, and monthly subsistence allowance for the duration of the study program.
The total amount granted by the scholarship can vary depending on the duration of the course and the nationality of the recipient. Usually, non-EU students receive a significantly higher amount of scholarship. This could be another reason why you should make your dreams happen!
What should you prepare and submit?
Take time to put together the following requirements and complete your application:
- 1-2 pages
- Addressed to the coordinator of your chosen course/program
- This should clearly state your reason why you would want to be part of the course/program
Tip: Say what value you can contribute to the program and why they must choose you over other applicants. You may also take this opportunity to determine who your possible adviser could be.
- Make it personal
- Don’t flaunt yourself as the perfect applicant
- State your personal goals and plans
- Edit your draft and ask someone for feedback
- Make it as detailed as possible
- List academic competencies and specific talents and skills
- This is where you can highlight your achievements, so better take this opportunity to list down as many personal and academic milestones as you can Ideally, the most recent and those that are related to the course/program should be your top priority
– Seminars/Workshops/Conferences/Symposia attended
– Presentations, Lectures, Projects
– Honors, Awards, Certificates
– Research Projects
– Works Published
Transcript of Records
Certificate of English as medium of instruction
Tip: You may ask for a possible exemption from this, but you should be able to cite reasons to support your claim.
Note: While most EMJMD courses only require English competency, a few universities in Europe require language competencies of a speaker in their language. So if you need to learn a certain language, you may check out the following Language Institutions where you can take exams and be issued language certificates:
- Preferably 2-3 letters from an employer and former teachers (at least one professor) who could vouch for you academically or personally
That’s 5 essential things you need to know about the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship. Don’t waste your opportunity to be part of one of the world’s renowned scholarships for international students!