The 9 Questions You Need to Ask About Singapore Student Visa | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

The 9 Questions You Need to Ask About Singapore Student Visa

Despite the small size of this island nation, Singapore is home to the top universities in Asia such as Nanyang Technological University (ranked 1st) and National University of Singapore (ranked 2nd) that are both well respected institutions globally. The Singaporean government has invested a lot into the quality of education as well as upgrading the overall standard of higher education in Singapore which makes this country an ideal study abroad destination for Filipino students.

Excited to study in SG? Here’s what you need to know about the Student Pass!

Please note that visa requirements and eligibility rules change at any point and time. It is always best to check the current official government websites to get the most updated information.

  1. What is the study visa that I should I apply for?

You should be applying for a Student Pass which is Singapore’s equivalent of a student visa. All applications for the Student Pass have to go through the Student’s Pass Online Application & Registration (SOLAR) system.

  1. Am I eligible for the study visa / entry permit?

If you are accepted and have been offered a place at an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) then you are eligible to apply for a Student Pass. Examples of IHLs in Singapore are as follows:

Local universities:

Local polytechnics:

  • Nanyang Polytechnic
  • Ngee Ann Polytechnic
  • Republic Polytechnic
  • Singapore Polytechnic
  • Temasek Polytechnic

Offshore institutes with local campuses:

  • École Supérieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciales
  • INSEAD (Singapore)
  • SP Jain School of Global Management
  • University of Chicago – Booth School of Business
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas – Singapore
  • DigiPen Institute of Technology
  • German Institute of Science and Technology – TUM Asia
  • Sorbonne-Assas International Law School

If you are applying to other types of schools such as Foreign System Schools (FSS), Approved Private Education Organizations (APEO), Government/Government Aided/Independent Schools, Institutes of Technical Education (ITE); you will need to apply through SOLAR as well but a different set of requirements might be asked of you.

  1. What are the steps to get a study visa/entry permit?

Step 1. Confirm your admittance and offer letter from an accredited Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) in Singapore (ex. Universities, Polytechnics)

Step 2. Prepare necessary documents

Step 3. Before you can fill in your SOLAR application, confirm that the institute where you have been offered admission has registered you through the SOLAR system.

Step 4. Fill in all requirements after logging into your SOLAR account and submit your eForm 16.

Step 5. Take a printout copy of the eForm 16 and submit it to the Student Pass unit of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) to complete the process.

  1. What documents do I need to provide?

For the online SOLAR account, you will need:
  • Registration notification from SOLAR with your login name and password
  • Travel documents and passport details
  • Personal information such as list of countries you have resided in
  • Proof of educational background
  • Proof of employment history
  • Proof of financial support
  • Parents personal information (if applicable)
  • Your residential address and contact details in Singapore
  • Your email address
  • One recent passport-size color photograph (35mm x 45 mm)
For the completion of formalities for your Student pass:
  • Valid passport
  • Departure/arrival card granted on entry to Singapore
  • One recent color passport-size photograph (w/ white background)
  • Printout of eForm 16 submitted through SOLAR
  • Official English translation of any non-English documents
  • Copy of the in-principle approval letter
  • Medical report in the prescribed format (available on ICA’s website)
  1. How much does the Student pass application cost?

$ 30 SGD.

  1. How long is the processing time for the Student Pass?

It takes around five to ten working days to process your Student’s Pass application. However, it may take longer during peak periods in July and August.

  1. How early should I apply for the study visa/entry permit?

    At least a month and not more than two months before your planned departure.

  2. How long does the study permit last?

You must surrender your Student Pass within one week from the date of completion of your program.

  1. What are the part-time work conditions for me once I have my study permit?

    Foreign students do not have to apply for work permits if they want to do part-time jobs. However if you are planning to work for more than 16 hours per week, it is best to consult with your institution as to what work opportunities are granted for you.

    For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships available for you in Singapore, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!