Understanding the IANG: Your Post-Study Work Visa for Hong Kong | Edukasyon.ph
Study Abroad

Understanding the IANG: Your Post-Study Work Visa for Hong Kong

With its busy city, vibrant nightlife, numerous travel destinations, and shopping locations, Hong Kong is also one of the top employment destinations in the Asia Pacific since they host many of the top companies of the world. With companies like Cathay Pacific, Citibank, HSBC, Estee Lauder and many others, graduates of Hong Kong universities have a lot of global companies where they can get valuable experience from and grow their networks.

There are great benefits and incentives for Hong Kong university graduates! Here’s what you need to know when applying for your post study work visa or permit.

Please note that requirements and application rules may change at any time. It is always best to check the current official government websites to get the most updated information.

Can I work in Hong Kong after I graduate?

Yes, absolutely.

What do I need to apply for?

You will need to apply for your Immigration Arrangements for Non-local graduates (IANG).

Am I eligible for the IANG?

You are eligible for the IANG if you:
  • Have obtained an undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited program in Hong Kong.
  • Have submitted your applications to the department within six months after your graduation date.

Can I still apply for the IANG even if I don’t have a job offer yet?

Yes, you can be granted a 12-month stay provided that you still fulfill the normal immigration requirements.

How long can I work in Hong Kong with an IANG?

Applicants of the IANG will be granted an initial stay of 12 months on time limitation without any other conditions of stay upon entry. They may apply for an extension of stay within four weeks before the expiry of their limit of stay. During this time, they will need to show that they have secured an offer of employment that is commonly taken by degree holders and with a remuneration package at market level. Business owners will need to provide proof of their business. Successful applicants for the extension will be permitted to remain on time limitation only without other conditions of stay on the 2-2-3 years pattern. After seven years of being allowed to stay under IANG, they can also apply for permanent residency in Hong Kong.

How do I apply for the IANG?

Step 1. Complete application form ID 990A

Step 2. Collect all needed supporting documents:

Step 3. Submit application and all documents in person or by post to:

Receipt and Despatch Sub-unit
Hong Kong Immigration Department
2/F, Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

Step 4. Pay for the IANG application upon collection of your visa/entry permit in cash, by EPS, or by cheque.

What are the supporting documents that I need to submit?

To be submitted by applicant:
  • Applicant’s recent photograph
  • Photograph of valid travel documents or passport
  • Photocopy of the applicant’s Hong Kong identity card (if any)
  • Photocopy of transcript of academic records, graduation certificate, or supporting letter from the degree awarding institutions showing the applicant’s attainment of undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally accredited program in HKSAR.
To be submitted by employing company (If you have received a job offer):
  • Application form ID 990B
  • Photocopy of company’s employment contract with letter of appointment
  • Photocopy of Business Registration Certificate
  • Photocopy of proof of financial standing
  • [If newly setup company] A detailed business plan

How long is the processing time for the IANG?

It takes around two weeks upon receipt of all required documents.

There you have it! There are many benefits of being a graduate of a Hong Kong higher education institute and you can eventually work there for up to seven years and choose to become a permanent resident. Now that you know what you need to know, let the job hunting begin!

For more information on schools, courses, and scholarships available for you in Hong Kong, visit the Edukasyon.ph Study Abroad page here!