A Comprehensive Guide to Government IDs (Part 2) | Edukasyon.ph
Grown-up Guide

A Comprehensive Guide to Government IDs (Part 2)

This is a continuation of our Guide to Government IDs. Head over here to read Part 1, where we tackle the birth certificate, Postal ID, NBI clearance, and driver’s license.

Congratulations on your growing ID collection! You’ve come this far already! If not, maybe you haven’t yet read Part 1 of our Government ID series? If you’ve just landed your first job, congratulations! Need to get your requirements done? You’ll get a load of that on this post, no worries.

This part tackles employment requirements and the Philippine passport. So you’ll be dealing with the dramatic irony of needing a valid ID to get an ID. Confusing, isn’t it?

"I need a valid ID!" "One of the requirements is a valid ID!" "But I need a valid ID to get a valid ID." "Then get a valid ID!"

But don’t fret. Here’s the rundown on how to get all those government numbers and IDs in your arsenal.

Step 6: Get your Tax Identification Number (TIN) from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) – Primary ID*

So here we go! The card that cements your entrance into adulthood. A TIN is given to individual taxpayers and is considered as a valid and primary ID in the Philippines. Even if you’re unemployed, you can secure a TIN for government transaction purposes, as part of Executive Order 98.  

*NOTE: If you’re a fresh grad without a TIN, and you landed your first job, you can be able to skip this step. Some employers will register a TIN for you instead.

  • Print and fill out the appropriate application form. If you’re unsure, you can ask the officer in charge at the BIR and they’ll be able to assist you.
    • Form 1901 (for self-employed and mixed-income individuals)
    • Form 1902 (for individuals earning purely compensation income)*
    • Form 1904 (for unemployed individuals registering under E.O. 98)
  • Bring a copy of your PSA/NSO Birth Certificate.

Cost: Free for the first ID

Validity: Lifetime

Where to go: BIR RDO assigned to your place of residence or employment

Step 7: Get your SSS, PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG Membership at a Government Express Service Center

Where to go: Several major shopping malls such as SM Aura, SM Mall of Asia, SM North EDSA, and AliMall have a one-stop satellite center for government offices like SSS, Philhealth, Pag-IBIG, and Philpost. Head to the respective floors instead so you won’t have to go to individual government offices.

PhilHealth ID – Secondary ID

  • Accomplish the application form and head to the PhilHealth post.
  • Bring your PSA/NSO Birth Certificate OR postal ID
  • Bring your proof of employment (if any).

Cost: Free

Validity: Lifetime

Pag-IBIG ID – Secondary ID

  • Fill out the online registration and get your Pag-IBIG number. It will be issued via SMS.
  • Head to the nearest Pag-IBIG branch with your reference number.
  • Pay the ID fee (PHP 100.00) and get a printed certification. You’ll be advised when to come back for your ID.

Cost: PHP 100.00

Validity: Lifetime

SSS Membership – Secondary ID

Best to head to the SSS office last since the lines are longer here. These are the requirements:

  • An accomplished application form, which you can do online. You’ll be sent an activation email for your online account.
  • PSA/NSO birth certificate, or
  • Any valid primary ID (Passport, Driver’s License, or TIN)

Cost: Free

Validity: Lifetime

Step 8: Get your Unified Multi-purpose ID (UMID)

Supposedly the mother of all IDs, the UMID is your SSS, PhilHealth, GSIS, and Pag-IBIG identification all in one. You will, however, need to get one in person as there is no online application at the moment. Note that you must already have SSS, PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG numbers.

These are what you need:

Cost: Free for the first ID

Validity: Lifetime

Where to go: Nearest SSS office or satellite

Step 9: Get or update your Philippine Passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs – Primary ID

The Philippine passport is probably one of the hardest IDs to get, in terms of scheduling. If you already have one, congrats! If not or if you need to renew, you’ll have to go through these steps.

  • Schedule a personal appearance at the DFA. There are DFA satellites in malls for your convenience.
  • Bring the original and two (2) photocopy of your PSA Birth Certificate. Also note: it cannot be the NSO one.
  • Come with either one (1) primary picture ID or two (2) secondary picture IDs to prove your identity.

Cost: PHP 950.00 to 1,200.00

Validity: 5 years

Where to go: (depends on DFA appointment)

Edukasyon PH Pro-Tips

1. Get ID Pictures in advance (and in bulk) for applications that require photos

Go to a nearby image studio and make sure you’re in a collared shirt. Earrings, hair accessories, and eyeglasses should be removed before photo taking. Ears should be visible and expression neutral, with both eyes open and mouth closed—you can smile, but no teeth or gums!

Get the following sizes: 1×1, 2×2, and passport size.

2. Print and fill out applications at home, or apply online (if applicable).

Take this shortcut so you’re one step ahead, and don’t have to fall in line for the forms at the government office you’re going to.

3. Go early in the morning to avoid long lines, but be prepared to wait.

Government offices are notorious for long lines and waiting areas. So head early in the morning to get it over with. Bring a book to keep you occupied. And a power bank for your gadgets. Eat breakfast as well, so you don’t get hungry during the wait. Finally, keep an eye out for your valuables as well while idling in line.

And there you have it! Congratulations on adulting. You’ve officially completed your valid ID collection

Want more tips on how to make it through post-college and working life? Join our Career Conversations on the Edukasyon PH blog!